Sunday, September 5, 2010

what an amazing week!

It was an amazing week that ended up being food for my soul as I sit robe clad in a silent living room with time to write about it.  As much as we strive to not let our home rise and fall with the rhythms of Abby's moods it always does.  Today I praise Him for the high times. It's because HE's so faithful to fill our cup during these times that we get through the low ones as we long to be filled again.  It so often takes every bit of my being to get through those days that I have little time for anything else.

This week I had time for so much ELSE!  Sunday has become such a hectic day with our church plant group meeting at 2 followed by church at 5:30.  Naps are short at best and breakdown is inevitable, yet they have turned out to be good days of constant fellowship with our body of  Christ.  The service was so filled with a lot of raw emotions that hit close to home as we journeyed with Dave as he gave account of the past year of their lives and the painful work the Lord's done on their hearts.  It was another tear filled service that spoke to our hearts as well. It was definitely an encouraging day to start our week.  I had family visiting as well and it was doubling encouraging to see how the Lord has been working in their lives too.

Tuesday morning came with a break in the clouds and the reality that summer is winding down hit me, so I cancelled (rescheduled) one of Abby's doctor appointments and hit the last playgroup with a bunch of girlfriends.  We could so easily raise our kids in one medical setting or another as we did for a few years of Abby's life because of all the doctors she must see are overwhelming at times.  We have tried to find the happy medium in caring for her needs and living life.  Tuesday we chose to ditch the medical and it was so rewarding to spend even a couple of hours with friends at a playground.  Annabelle and MaryAlice had a ball and I enjoyed visiting with the moms.

Tuesday was the start of some "time off" for me.  On the way home from the playground Danielle dropped me off at my parent's house (they were out of town) for a couple of days of respite.  I let myself in to "Chateau de Hemmila", picked some fresh veggies from the garden to snack on, and lied down on the couch to soak up the silence.  It's amazing how silence feeds my soul like nothing else!  In case the quiet wasn't grand enough my sister arrived shortly to share the time with me.  Two days together!  We spent the first day shopping, out to dinner, and then wrapped up the night with a chic flick-  Emma.  After a full night's sleep we didn't wake up until 9:00!  We put on work out clothes and some mascara as we headed to the boardwalk.  It was an amazingly beautiful day.  We went for a walk, got some coffee at Caribou Coffee and lounged by the water.  The rest of the day was spent at the "Chateau" with a garden salad and a good book.  I read until Andy came to pick me up for a date- the crowning touch to two wonderful days.  I love my sister and our time together!  I am so blessed to have her.  This was all her idea and I didn't realize how much I needed it until I arrived at the house. 

Gary and Sam loving the babies... our extended family time
Friday was one of those bittersweet days.  Andy and I have been holding on to the small group we lead at church even though we knew it was time to move on to the church plant group.  I guess we knew intellectually that the group would be fine, but it's kind of like a family seperation.  We knew we should let them go as other groups were starting, but knowing and doing are two different things. 

Saturday we were blessed by a visit from my best friend from high school and her family as they were in town.  I can't believe we hadn't seen each other in two years!  So much of my life has been on hold it seems that I've neglected so many relationships.  It was so great to see their adorable family.  It does my heart good to see them doing so well, but also ache because we can't really do life together. 

liz & the girls
Saturday night brought a much needed time out with good friends.  We so enjoy Kyle and Liz, but really don't get to spend enough time with them.  It really was an "epic" night.  It's just nice to be able to go out with a couple who are easy.  They're such  a blessing to us.  It reminds me that part of ministry is operating out of the overflow of the heart.  It fills my cup to go out with a couple like them, and it's such an encouragement too. 

1 comment:

  1. Praising God for all the peace and fun that I know was a long time coming. So happy for you. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Blog Archive