Wednesday, August 6, 2014

HELP!!!! NEED MORE HEADS THAN JUST MINE...

I posted that Abby needed some sort of sensory board to start using instead of us, but I really don't know what to do.  I've had several friends volunteer to help, but I really don't know what to tell them.  I went on Pinterest to see if there were ideas, but most of what I saw was for toddlers to explore.  It was good ideas to start the brain flow but it didn't help me move forward. 

This is what I have and I'd welcome any input of ideas... even if they seem silly.  Some of the weirdest options end up being the best.  Don't worry, I won't be offended when you suggest putting it all on a prosthetic arm... HA!  I guess we're trying to steer her away from that!  So far we thought the "board" should be portable rather than the big ones I see on Pinterst.  She doesn't need it for a fun activity, but rather to get the sensory input she needs to calm her body and live in our world.  Our board so far is a cookie sheet.  Our thoughts were that it is light and may make a noise when hit which could be a bonus?  We've added some large rubber bands around it to add some resistance to her pulls and "ping" on the release.  She likes the sound of the guitar.  We were trying to think of an instrument that we could add stuff to?  A ukelele?  We've had a harpsichord which may work.  She didn't prefer it but whatever we use, she's likely not to prefer right away.  It will take some time to train her to do it.   Abby also likes to mouth (eat) board books.  Something about that texture appeals to her.  We should incorporate something book like for her?  She also likes to dig her nails into flesh and pull hair.  She will do it with or without a reaction.  We surmised years ago that she was looking for the big reaction she got with these aggressions, but we've learned not to respond at all and she still does it.  She also likes if you dig your nails into the pads of her fingers, so we're guessing she'd like some rough textured input on the board.  It needs to be rough but not injurious.  I'm thinking indoor/outdoor carpet?  stainless steel scrubber?  Do you see where I'm going?  I keep thinking nails but they could hurt her or someone else when dropped.  Someone suggested a pool noodle to cover a side or two?  the right texture maybe and provide some cushion when dropped? 

Alright, that's where I'm stuck...
your turn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Blog Archive