Tuesday, March 18, 2014

New School... My Optimism Runneth Over!

We're on day three of new school for Abby and it hit me today that I too often shoot for "try to temper expectations so I'm not too disappointed" ring of the ladder rather than the "exceedingly abundantly" over the top wrung that He often provides.  I guess after having to change schools, I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic in case they decide they can't handle her either.  I know she's a handful, but what they don't know, or can't fully understand, is that they are seeing "Happy Abby".  Praise the Lord she isn't out of control Abby or I don't know what they would do!  So, my thirteen year old started High School.  Eighteen hundred students high school!  I wanted to cry with the idea of it, but the reality was much different...

I'll throw caution to the wind...
Here goes my real feelings of her new placement...

It's perfect.  It's a perfect fit for Abby.  It's the best of what I want for her.  I want her to be safe, well cared for, and dare I dream... happy!  The room has four other kids.  Two are in wheelchairs and the other two, along with Abby, roam around.  It's a big room :)  They seem to be happy she's there rather than stressed by her like her last placement.  They said she giggled yesterday... day two!  I don't like the idea of her being locked away and separated from typical kids like can often happen.  Get this!  There are regular ed students in the classroom for most of the day.  They get school credit for "working" with kids like Abby.  I walked in and the girls were "ooing" and "awe-ing" over my cute girl!  I almost cried on the spot.  I've dropped her off and picked her up for a couple days as transportation is being worked out and girls stop in the hallway and talk to her.  They do music every day, circle time (like Kindergarten) and she has "work" boxes just like she had at her previous school.
I must go on...
I talked to the bus driver today and other than being WAY too early to pick Abby up so Andy or I will take her in the morning, she is crazy accommodating!  There are three separate times Abby can be brought home.  She can leave at 1, 2 or 3 o'clock depending on the day, how she's doing or just our preference.  I don't like having to bring her to school, but it's only ten minutes away and the school is directly across the street from Walmart and Sams club... how convenient!
And the kicker... if it is a good placement, it will be her last one as it is the high school.  She could be here (if we stay) until she's 21... 8 years! 
There it is...
untempered excitement!
I know there can still be tough days ahead as Abby changes without apparent reason, but for now...
I'm grateful for exceedingly, abundantly more than I could ask or imagine :)

Did I mention that church volunteers also keep her for the entire service on Sundays?  Either she is doing well or these volunteers are amazing actors because they act like she's a blessing.  That status usually takes time with Abby...

Deep Breath...
I don't know why I  wait for the worst rather than just enjoying what is?
Maybe this is my growth...
my faith grows :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Blog Archive