Friday, November 16, 2012

Krista Horning

get this book by Krista Horning here

Krista Horning walked up to the podium after a heart warming introduction by her pastor, John Piper.  She has a disability called Apert syndrome which causes physical deformities. I was moved by her courage to speak, but had my head down as I doodled in my book when she began. (On a side note, I doodle to keep my attention on the speaker.  We all have coping strategies and if I'm doodling I'm listening, but if I'm not then I'm daydreaming).  I was looking forward to what Krista had to say, but since my Abby has such a low intellectual capacity I don't identify as much and so my head was down in flowers and swirls over my notebook as Krista began...

She started with what her disability said to her.  Her disability told her all the things she couldn't do.  It wanted to define who she was and where she would go, but what came next caught my attention...
she continued with what God said to her. 
She started with one verse which led to another...
and another... and another...
After the third one I looked up and became unglued with what I saw...
She wasn't reading, but reciting
verse after verse after verse after verse...
the promises of God to her...

and to me...

I'm not sure how long she took or how many verses she recited, but it seemed like forever.
She claimed the promises in the Bible as her own and somehow extended them to me in a new and vibrant,
refreshing way.
I sat and stared in admiration for the truth she held and delivered while the tears poured down my face and sobs shook my body in silent sobs.

TRUTH

in the midst of the lies
a beautiful reminder to all of us
I'll be forever grateful to this gal who rocked my world with the simple truths of scripture.
Krista Horning

I'll post her speech as soon as it is up online...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Blog Archive