Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"special parents"

"God gives special kids to special people"... I can't tell you how many times I've heard that and how many times I gave my gratuitous smile and walked away.  It always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason, and  I couldn't really be mad at someone for saying it because it's always meant as a compliment. 

It hit me
And it's not pretty, folks
Humbling, unfortunately

Here's what I got...

Was God sick and tired of people like us bearing little or no fruit it their lives?., and he gave us Abby.  He knew in His infinite wisdom that Abby would take two prideful, successful, intelligent people and bring us to our knees in utter humility.  "To whom much is given, much will be required."  We've been given much, but were headed down a path of selfish existence despite all we were blessed with.  Instead of using our solid upbringings, knowledge and God given skills for Him we were self indulgent and self centered.  Those who knew us might be surprised to hear it (or you can pretend for my fragile ego's sake).  We weren't THAT bad, but worthless enough that God had to do something to radically change us. 

I've always said, "Yes, Lord to anything you ask of me... anytime, anywhere," but never thought He'd take me up on- it in a big way!  Abby radically changed our lives.  She isn't a tool for punishment or anything like that... don't miss the point here. 

She's exactly who she was created to be... perfectly imperfect to perfectly impact imperfect people.  Tongue twister :)

If you're reading this than He had in his mind to let Abby not only change us...
But you too

Kids (people) like Abby impact so many more people than the rest of us "perfect" people.  Who would I be without her?  Who would you be? 

Now ask yourself what God is doing in your life to change you... to mold you?  Are you resisting?  What has He done or is He doing to get you to bear fruit?  Don't worry... you'll like bearing fruit, but you may not like what it takes to get you there. 

I've asked the Lord recently to let up on us (collective "us" as so many of our friends are struggling in a big way right now too)... Maybe He's not finished... thankfully He hasn't given up and He's still scraping away.  I long to be what He wants me to be... even if the process is painful. 

I thought I was serving Him, but I have a feeling I was adequate for where I was...
I don't want Him to leave me where I was...
The desire of my heart is far from mediocre...
"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart..."
He's "working out" the desires of my heart
...humbling as it may be

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, I know what you mean. When people say that to me I think, "So my baby is "punished" in a way since we're competent parents? I'll let him know who to blame...US!" Like you, I know it's meant to be a compliment, but it's kind of a silly thing to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always felt weird about not liking that so called "compliment". I especially hate the, "God gives us only what we can handle" well yeah, I know that's true, but I would also like to say to these people that next time I would like I say in it as well!

    I really liked this post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this post as well. So many people say things to me meant as "compliments" and I don't know how to respond because they just rub me the wrong way. Like people say to me a lot - "I don't know how you do it." or they say, "Better you than me". Is that supposed to make me feel better?

    I tend to believe the quote: God doesn't call the qualified, but He qualifies the called. We're not special, but we're willing, and that's a big deal to God. I was listening to a lady's testimony that had a difficult time getting pregnant and then she FINALLY did, and the baby was born with many, many birth defects and died days later. In her frustration she asked God "Why?" and she said the answer came, "Because I knew you would love her anyway." That's been more than 10 years ago, but it stuck with me and now I know why. So, when I'm particularly frustrated and asking God "Why?" I think, "Because He knew I'd love her anyway." He also knew I'd run TO Him and not FROM Him. He can't say that for everyone. I'm so happy to have stumbled upon your blog. Your life blesses me. Your honesty blesses me. I'm trying to get there, but I'm not there yet.

    I loved your tongue twister quote. It is so true! And I so agree that it is definitely in our tests and trials that we learn, not when things line up perfectly. Apparently I have a lot of learning to do. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a joy it is to call you my sister in Christ! So thankful for the way you are able to bless others through your written words. . . you have spread SON-shine to the cloudy, cold south today.
    Love you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omgness Allison, you continuesly put me to shame. and i don't see that as a bad thing. Since having a baby, when people complement on how well behaved he is i often reply that 'God knew what I could handle: not much'. Maybe i'm looking at it all the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Blog Archive