Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The lagacy of a man

The legacy we leave behind has been at the center of my mind as of late with the death of a close friend. Jack Coleman impacted my life and my husband's in a permanent, life changing way. His home was ours, his family was our family and his friends were our friends during our college years. His daughter has been one of my best friends since college. We don't see each other as much as we would like, but true friends are always close at heart. It sounds cheesy, but it's true.

When I got the call that the cancer he'd been fighting finally took his life I sat and cried. I was surprised at all the tears because I know where he is, but I had to look at what this life lost with his "going home." It hit me because I want to leave this life like Jack did... done with what God had for him. I can see him standing before Christ and hearing, "Well done good and faithful servant." I want that. Am I living my life for eternity or am I drowning in the rubbish of life here?

The Coleman home was always open to anyone at anytime. Andy and I experienced their "open door" policy. We could go there and feel at home. We often even got a meal which was a huge blessing to poor college kids and even poorer newlyweds. I've never known anyone even since who truly seemed to enjoy everyone who came through the door. When we speak about love it's one thing, but love is sooo much more than what you say... it's what you do. It's people like Jack and Diane who inspire me to not waste my life, but invest it in the things above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Blog Archive